Saturday, 29 December 2007

Salad Days

I'm having great fun improvising with fresh produce from my garden. Yesterday's lunch, for example:

3 types of salad greens & parsley tossed in a fragrant vinaigrette (lavendar vinegar, to be technical), with slices of red plum, chunks of feta and dukkah sprinkled on top. It was Yum.


/>

Then I decided to tackle one of the enormous beets growing in the garden, and made borscht.

The marbled interior was a bit of a surprise...


It was a simple combination: I fried some onion, garlic, julienned beet - then covered with chicken stock + a pinch of chilli salt; added a generous handful of shredded red cabbage and simmered for 10-15 mins. Seasoned and added a Tb of red wine vinegar - the last thanks to Marie's suggestion - it definitely added the final touch.

4 comments:

M. Christopher said...

How beautiful - I love the close up of the beet. You've inspired me to attempt my own borscht with the beets I have at home. Perhaps tonight?

Marijke said...

Hey Chris! how's it going temperature wise - freezing cold yet? luckily borscht works both ways. I had it cold and summery light, but I'd imagine you'd serve it piping hot with added potatoe and sour cream... enjoy!

Marie said...

Yum!

Did you pee pink???

Lisa De Vahl said...

Close up of beet is excellent... however yuk I don't like beetroot... I hated it when my mother used to make beetroot salad when we had a braai and the "reddish/purple sauce" would colour my meat in the same plate... never got around to make it myself since then ;)