Thursday, 06 March 2008

Solo weekend at Patatsfontein

It was my turn to go to Patatsfontein and I decided to go solo - sometimes it's just easier that way. No planning & co-ordinating with friends, or dealing with people who can't commit. Instead I throw a few clothes in a bag, and whatever is in my fridge in a coolbox, raid the veggie garden, and pile in some fruit, and I'm ready to go. Actually that's not entirely true. My packing economy and efficiency breaks down completely when it comes to bringing along things to do: a few novels, reference books, paints, maps - if it weren't for the wild animals I'd have packed my bicycle and kayak as well. And guess what? I finished one book and could've left the rest at home.

After so many years it seems I still don't get it because going to Patats. is about relaxing and being - sitting on the stoep and gazing in the distance, watching the distant mountains go from hazy grey to blue during the course of the day, or a skink sunning itself on a rock or noticing that the gwarrie bossies have put on an inch of new growth. It's about night skies with a zillion stars, braaing a lamb chop on a fire and going to bed early. Sleeping a lot. Reading, writing and dreaming. I did all of those things. Mostly I enjoy the silence - at night it is so quiet that the silence rings in my ears.

It was a perfect weekend - a wonderful respite from the city and endless communication which I've allowed to creep into my life. The solitude feeds my soul. I would not have it any other way
.

A familiar chat came to visit every now and then

Planted! a piece of chunky Botterboom (Tylecodon paniculata) which had been broken off by the baboon and was lying about

I walked the labyrinth but no deep insights or answers to a question ... found myself fixing the lines were animals had shifted the stones.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Marie said...

"...found myself fixing the lines were animals had shifted the stones."

A very nice line. Makes you think about our lives and fixing those lines that have been shifted...

I thought of you when we drove past the butcher in Ashton a month ago - is he where you got your lamb chop?

Marijke said...

yes - that's the lamb chop man