Sunday, 23 March 2008

Garden Update - some First Evers

Last year my mom gave me two small berry plants. For the first few months I made several nocturnal sojourns to collect christmas beetles which turn the leaves into lace at night - but I guess I lost interest. On Friday I noticed some new shoots and decided to tie the new canes properly onto the fence. And there on the ground I spotted some RASPBERRIES! Only five, but oh so sweet and delicious. An excellent incentive to feed them for next year's crop...

Satsumas ripening on a small tree - despite serious thinning out of fruits, I probably left on too many, and occasionally pull of a few more to reduce the weight.


First ever satsuma, with other garden produce, worm holes and all


Open-heart surgery on this cucumber, which grew lodged inside the palisade fence post, and was impossible to pull out.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Marie said...

Oh wow. Are those BLACK raspberries??? Only place I ever saw them was at an outdoor market in Santa Fe, and the farmer told a very sad story about his crop being flattened by hail. They were delicious.

Delicious-looking pepper, citrus and disturbing open heart surgery...

Marijke said...

Black raspberries? Heavens no! - the light was dim so it looks that way but they were pretty and um er ... raspberry coloured.