Saturday, 29 March 2008

The Neighbour Goods Market

In June last year, shortly after my return from NY, I revisited the neighbour Goods Market in the Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock and penned these words:

I have a kind of love-hate relationship with the NG Market: On the one hand I rebel against the throng of people - mostly well-heeled, white, trendy, their shiny cars lining the streets of a poor surburb. Young dads with kids on their shoulders (a trendy accessory?), sipping wine, the expensive deli items for sale, where organic is the new buzz word and the general chi-chi-ness of it all.

On the other hand I'm irresistably drawn to the market - the fact that growers and producers are selling their own wares, connecting with people, that one is buying food-with-a-story, rather than nameless faceless stuff. I like the way it celebrates local produce. I love the jazz music, the feast of colourful goods,the friendly vibe and the Buzz. The long trestle table which serves as a temporary pause and meeting point, the cheerful flowers and quirky pot plants. The whole food, slow food, local food, deliciousness of it all.

I guess it's a good start but I look forward to the day when we have proper farmer's markets in CT selling more fresh produce: fruit, veg, meat, fish, as well as bread and cheese. When organic is not just a fashion but a way of producing and living.



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Marie said...

I agree! - the mass "coolness" of organic really irks me. The whole bandwagon-ness of it all. Yet we can't deny that that is not in itself a bad thing...I love that market, too and yes, it is also a privileged place, just as the Union Square Farmers' Market here in NY is privileged. Though at least you know you are paying money to real farmers...

Marijke said...

Your last point - exactly. I mean I bought Buffet olives at the supermarket the other day - ugh - and frankly what's the point if I can get interesting farm ones at the market? Actually I bought them for making olive bread, so all is not lost.